Letter from the residents’ association
Now, my friend was telling me that she got a letter from the Stepford Wives’ residents’ association (actually, I don’t think it was from the Stepford Wives, but it might as well have been).
She was told that her house was not conforming to the standards of the neighbourhood. This amused me greatly. Really? It all looks pretty tickety-boo to me.
Anyhow, this was the check list that she needed to get amended before the next visitation by a woman with a clipboard….
– The wheelbarrow needs to be put into storage and not by the side of the house
– The plant pots by the side of the house need to be removed
– The guttering needs to be fixed
– And, the best one – the side of the house is a little bit dirty and needs cleaning.
I look pictorial evidence of said crimes.
Here they are:
Anyway, I gently mock these people who ensure that the houses in this area of Howard County looks so marvellously spic and span. But, really…..a letter about your plant pots?!
I’ve got a Scooby Doo bucket full of dead crabs from the Chesapeake on my front lawn, so I can’t wait for my letter … 😉
I love little Highland, a town so small and delicious I could eat it up in one bite!
Today was their annual Fall fair, and one that I had been looking forward to as a real slice of American pie, and it did not disappoint. The town was adorned with pumpkins and hay-rides, Halloween houses, crab cakes, pie-eating contests and free wine tasting, which was obviously totally super-dooper.
I heart Denny’s
I have a confession to make. I’m a bit in love with a restaurant diner called Denny’s. Yes, I know! Chastise me all you want, but there’s why I love it:
1. The ‘diner’ attracts a rich melting pot of Americans – all types of people eat in Denny’s and it’s just fantastic for people watching.
2. The food is pretty reasonably priced and damn, it tastes good! When you want a $7.99 pot roast in the comfort of a booth with no fuss, Denny’s is your place.
3. The manager always has to come over and say hi, and it’s like he totally loves working there – that goes for all the staff. They are so cheery!
4. It reminds me of Happy Eaters in the UK from the 1980s, which was a big treat for us back in those days. Yes, really it was.
5. They are often near Holiday Inn Express hotels, which makes me feel like I am on my holibobs.
There, I’ve said it. I love Denny’s. 🙂